Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Is North Coast Energy Services part of PG&E?

No. NCES is a local non-profit agency serving low-income residents in Lake, Mendocino, Sonoma, Napa, Solano, Yolo Counties. Although we help with PG&E bills and educate the consumer on most of PG&E’s services such as CARE, Medical Baseline, Balanced Payment Plan, etc., we are not affiliated with PG&E.

How can I apply for help with my energy bill?

Call our toll free number at 1-800-233-4480 to request a HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program) application. The application with instructions will be mailed to you within 2-3 business days. Read the instructions, complete the application and return it by mail with the required documentation.

Q: How can I apply for free home weatherization?

Owners and renters may apply. If you are a renter, both the renter/applicant and the owner need to sign the weatherization service agreement.

What documentation is required to be submitted with my application?

    Each completed and signed application must be accompanied by:
  • Copy of the household’s current energy bill dated within the last 30 days
  • Copies of income documents for ALL income earned from ALL household members for the last 30 days
  • The HEAP instruction sheet provides detailed information on the types of acceptable income and energy bill documentation needed

What do I do if I’ve received a shut-off notice from PG&E?

The first thing you should do is contact PG&E to make payment arrangements and request an extension on your bill. NCES provides customer walk-in assistance for emergencies at specified locations. Call our toll free number, 1-800-233-4480, to request an application, download the application from our website or apply online. The instructions page lists each of our offices serving Lake, Mendocino, Napa, Solano, Sonoma and Yolo Counties. You can call the office serving your county to get the current walk-in hours.

What kinds of energy bills do you help with?

    We can provide payment assistance with the following:
  • Gas and electric. If your gas and electric bill is from PG&E a copy of your most recent bill is required with your application. If your gas and electric is sub-metered a copy of your most recent monthly rental receipt is required with your application.
  • Propane/Kerosene/Fuel Oil. You must have an established account with a propane/kerosen company. A copy of your most recent invoice from your propane company is required with your application.
  • Included in Rent. If your utilities are included in your rent we are able to accept a letter from your landlord or property manager stating the dollar amount of your rent that goes toward your home’s energy costs. For your convenience, a simple form that your landlord or property manager can fill out is available by calling our toll free number, or you may print it out directly from our website (link).

Does the energy bill need to be in my name?

No. Any person over the age of 18 who lives in the home full time may apply for assistance. The service address on the energy bill must be the physical address at which the applicant lives.

How often can I apply for help?

NCES can provide a one-time benefit payment per program year. Benefit payments are determined by the household size and income.

May I apply for HEAP if I am currently enrolled in PG&E’s reduced rate program CARE (California Alternate Rate for Energy)?


May I apply for HEAP if I have received energy bill payment assistance from other programs such as REACH (R…E…A…C…H)?


Do you have a Refrigerator Replacement Program?

Refrigerators may qualify for replacement under the weatherization part of the LIHEAP program. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-233-4480 and ask for more information.

Do you help with deposits?

State guidelines require HEAP funding to be used for a customer’s current energy usage costs. If you are facing a termination of service due to non-payment of a deposit request, please call our toll free number at 1-800-233-4480 for more information.

PG&E is no longer my service provider, but I still owe them money on my closed account. Can you help me?

No. State guidelines require HEAP funding to be used for a customer’s current energy usage costs.

How do I know if I qualify for the HEAP program?

  • Your total household monthly income, based on your household size, cannot exceed income eligibility guidelines provided in the HEAP application packet.
  • You must have a current energy bill with a minimum of 22 days of service.

What is weatherization?

NCES trained technicians will assess your home and install energy efficient measures as needed. These measures will save you money and make your home safe as well as comfortable.
Get in Touch
Follow us in social media. Connect with other people, get the latest info, discuss the most recent product updates or simply show the world your love for North Coast Energy Services.